Hoshiarpur Municipal CorporationHoshiarpur, often known as the city of saints, is an urban settlement located towards east of Punjab state. The city also serves as the district headquarters for Hoshiarpur district. Hoshiarpur has a significant place in the history of this entire region and its gradual industrial growth led the development story of this city. Hoshiarpur was a Class II municipal committee since its very inception.
Later on with certain reforms taking place in the acts related to Punjab local self governance, it was transformed into a class I municipal committee in 1951. Through various legislations, rules, and regulations, state government vested this committee with more powers and responsibilities.
There were issues like lack of proper amenities and infrastructural facilities in the district along with poor roads and unemployment. These problems posed challenges to this municipal committee and it carried on with its functions and duties to solve them diligently.
Taking it into account, Punjab government decided to convert Hoshiarpur Municipal committee into corporation having greater powers with more financial assistance from state government.
In 2013, Hoshiarpur Municipal Corporation was established in a new building with commitment to ensure better amenities and facilities to the residents of city and its adjoining rural areas. Proposal to this effect was made by the councilors of this committee in 2011. With status of Municipal Corporation accorded to the city, it is now expected to march forward on path of development with better civic amenities.
Departments of Hoshiarpur Municipal Corporation
- General Administration superintendent
- Water and sewerage department
- Building and Road department
- Teh Bazaari department
- License department
- House Tax department
- Horticulture department
- Health and sanitation department
- Street lighting department
- Birth and death department
- Town planning department
- Accounts department
- Fire Brigade department
- Municipal Library on Railway Road
Functions and Duties of Hoshiarpur Municipal CorporationWith newly gained status of Municipal Corporation, Hoshiarpur has lot of work to be done to improve the level of civic administration in the city. Most of the functions related thereto have been passed on to this corporation from other government departments and local bodies. To make it more convenient and well managed; the number of wards in Hoshiarpur is also proposed to be raised from 31 to 35 currently with the number reaching 50 in near future. The budget has also been increased to facilitate the management of all these wards efficiently.
The main duties and functions of this corporation include formulating building by-laws and making amendments thereto, taking action against unauthorized colonies, water and house tax collection, birth and death registration, and preparing master plan of Hoshiarpur. Apart from these functions, there are certain obligatory duties being entrusted to this corporation which includes water supply, street lights, waste management, sanitation, maintenance of roads, and sewerage treatments. The corporation also maintains dispensaries, public parks, and cremation ground for convenience of the residents.
Future Plans for Hoshiarpur Municipal Corporation
- Appointment of Municipal Councilors will be held as per the rules of Corporation defined by state government.
- Number of wards in Municipal limits of Hoshiarpur will increase from 31 to 50 after including several villages as well.
- Dependence of Municipal Corporation over other departments will be reduced and complete civil administration will come under it.
- An IAS officer will be appointed on the post of Municipal Commissioner.
- From Rs. 30 crores, annual budget of Corporation will be increased significantly for smooth running of its various duties.
- Monthly remuneration of the Mayors will also rise as per new proposals.
Contact Details of Hoshiarpur Municipal Corporation Swami Vivekanand Municipal Bhawan
Phone No - 220322, 244022
Fax No - 220974
Near Shimla Pahari
Phone No - +91- 1882- 220422o. 98763-70027
email - firstname.lastname@example.org